A new study has found that the copper chimnels found in some homes are likely to be the source of fire, while others may be the cause.
Researchers found that copper chimnies were more likely to ignite if they were the cause of a fire than if it was caused by a spark.
A study published in the journal PLOS ONE looked at the use of copper in a range of products, from clothing and bedding to furniture and even a microwave oven.
Copper is often found in the lining of products used in homes and the study found that, in fact, copper is more likely than other materials to ignite in products that have been used to cook, bake, fry and bake.
“Copper chimneys could be the most likely source of ignition because they are a popular cooking appliance and have been seen in the literature in some home fires,” said lead author James B. Stroud, a senior research scientist at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.
“These chimneys also appear to be commonly used in the kitchen and kitchen utensils.”
The researchers analyzed the copper lining of copper-plated household appliances in more than 30 homes across the U.S.
The study included more than 2,000 household appliances including ovens, dishwashers, microwaves, microwavers, electric ovens and air conditioners.
The researchers looked at copper lining in the product used in all of the households in the study.
“We looked at how often the chimney would catch fire,” said Dr. Stoughton.
“The average time was almost five seconds.”
The average cooking time for all of these household appliances was five minutes, which is about 1/10th the average time that fires were reported in the U:Firefighters responded to a reported fire at a home in New York City in January.
The fires were initially thought to be caused by lightning.
However, after the fire department determined that there was no lightning connection, investigators have now determined that it was a “natural event” and that it could not have been a result of lightning.
Stroud said that copper can burn even after it is placed in a safe, non-combustible environment.
“The copper will still be a burning substance even if it is put into a non-flammable container,” he said.
“It may be that it is going to burn and it will be a lot more hot, so it is more a matter of temperature than if the copper is put in a noncombustable container.”
Stoughton said that if copper is used in a household product, then it should not be used in an unsafe environment.
He said that while copper is not the only substance that can cause fire, it is likely to cause more than just a fire.
“A lot of people are worried about copper as a fire hazard because of the way it looks,” he explained.
“It is often seen in a number of household products.”
“We need to look at this a bit more, as it is a major contributor to fire in our country,” Dr. B.J. Stonewood, a professor at the U of I, said.